The purpose of this qualification is to:
- Provide the learner with the knowledge, understanding, skills and experience to become a Bookkeeper to Financial Statements.
- This will aid individual development and enhance the employment prospects of the learner, as well as social transformation through the formal acknowledgement of competencies, skills and knowledge.
- Equip the learners with a Qualification that can be used in the field of Accounting. Successful completion of this qualification will give the learner the knowledge and skills required not only to perform his/her Accounting job efficiently, but also to proceed on a path of life-long learning with Qualifications at a higher level.
- Provide employers and others with an adequate basis for assuring that those learners gaining the Qualification are competent to act as Bookkeepers, providing Accounting and Financial Management support in medium to large organisations or to act as the senior Bookkeeper in a smaller organisation under the supervision of an outsourced Chartered Accountant or Accounting Officer.
- Encourage the widest possible access to the Accounting profession and Accounting Qualifications by making it possible for the following learners to obtain a bookkeeping qualification.
1. Finalise and interpret accounts.
2. Interpret and draft financial statements.
3. Maintain financial records and prepare general ledger accounts.
4. Calculate and record Value Added Tax transactions and complete VAT returns.
5. Establish, maintain and use a computerised bookkeeping system.
Grade 10 (Std 8) or equivalent.
No prior accounting knowledge needed. You must be at least 16 years old.
The programme duration is 36 months (18 months theory /18 months in-service training) and tuition is negotiable. Programmes are offered during the week on a full-time basis.
WHAT WILL I LEARN TO DO?
Monthly bookkeeping to trial balance (manual and computerised); disclose profit and financial position; reconcile suppliers, inventory and bank statements; calculate PAYE/ UIF/SDL; payroll tax and other deductions; EMP201, EMP501, IRP5, IRP6 and IT3a documents and VAT returns.
WHAT CAN MY JOB TITLE BE?
Junior Bookkeeper, Accounts Clerk, Reconciliation Clerk, Payroll Clerk, Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerk
Key outcomes of this course include:
- Component 1: Starting Out
- Component 2: Basic Terminology (I)
- Component 3: Basic Terminology (II)
- Component 4: Accounting Methods
- Component 5: Keeping Track of Your Business
- Component 6: Comprehending the Balance Sheet
- Component 7: Other Financial Statements
- Component 8: Payroll Accounting / Terminology
- Component 9: End of Period Procedures